A little bit of actual progress to show. But mainly I have taken the track plan and accurately measured everything out. The best thing is that now I can mock up the actual height of the running lines and then measured, I gain space for another 2 x storage sidings.
The "duck under" for the cupboard is more a diplomatic gesture to the wife as one of the conditions of using this rooms was that I didn't rip out the built in cupboard. I'll use it for storing things I never use, like instructions.
I have looked a lot at the large availability of pics on the net and spent some time doing some calculations on heights of the viaducts etc. I counted bricks (there are 64 brick layers to bridge clearance) As I don't know the height of a brick though I used the VW camper van in one of Nigel Tout's pictures. http://www.gcrleicester.info- it's an excellent resource as has been pointed out numerous time on this forum. By the way, I requested permission to reproduce his image(s) which he most graciously granted.
Anybody easily annoyed can skip this sentence, I was just messing around. The vehicle is 1.96m high. So by putting 4 of them on top of each other I calculated that the clearance of the bridge is about 5m, (66mm) The track level is about 6.5m (85mm). I noticed that Slaters bricks are 10 brick courses to 10mm. So their bricks are either a little bit on the small side (64 bricks would give me an actual height of 4.88m, or my abscure method of measuring is wrong, Either way i'm easy. It just goes to show how easy I am at getting distracted. It reminds me a little bit of the old locos and carriages stacked up at Vic Berry's yard! I'm sure this is more accurate than the headroom sign, which I presume always give some element of benefit of the doubt.