- Published: 30 January 2018 30 January 2018
- Hits: 2893 2893
Recently i've had the airbrush out and lots of experimenting with weathering. Lots of trial and error, lots of blocked nozzles, but now at least i've got the hang of the right consistencies, my preferred media depending on the job at hand (enamel / acrylic) and have settled on Vallejo & Tamiya (acrylic), Humbrol (enamel).
I have had quite a bit of success with blending Tamiya acrylics together with various shades and thinners on my hoppers to create one way of adding rust and general traffic dirt without an airbrush, i'll most likely write an entry with pictures going through how I did this. Also hairspray and various chipping media for exposing the rust underneath.
I have rather a lot of the old War Ministry oil tanks and want to rebrand them in Esso for the Abbey Lane sidings which are just to the North of Leicester Central. I had a number of the 3 pack silver "A" tanks but when I started working with them noticed that they are not painted but the plastic is pre-coloured and heavily tinted with blue.
Although they were to be weathered anyway I was not happy that the blue came through so had an idea to strip them down, repaint them and then individualise them with home-made decals - results are shown below and I shall be detailing how I did this and what I learnt in a seperate blog entry.
The weathering of the oil tanks was a done with 2 parts black matt Humbrol Black and one part Humbrol Leather (62) and thinned enamels with the airbrush (humbrol matt leather & matt black) with some almost dry-brush thinners manipulation. I learnt that even when enamels are touch dry this was possible for several hours after application (compared to acrylic which is dry very quickly if airbrushed). dribbles of oil care of AK interactives / Vallejo Fuel enamels were applied on the top.
The real surprise was applying matt orange humbrol (46) which was then manipulated with some thinners after a while. The orange really added a nice oily sheen / colour, but had to be very small amounts.
Manufacturers are bringing out a lot of Private Owner Wagons and I have been looking through quite a few old books and sites for ideas to create a late 1950's train of mixed coal wagons with faded PO liveried wagons and some that are unpainted. I got out the Vallejo paints and doctored up this old Dapol wagon as my first experiment with dirty but not yet decrepit natural wood. It still needs some decals and some weathering, i've also notice a fingerprint on the door, it's amazing how the camera shows up even the tiniest blemish not noticeable to the eye.
- Published: 11 December 2016 11 December 2016
- Hits: 1702 1702
I've been busy researching and testing out some weathering techniques. Love the Gunmetal black for metalic finshes. Also the 21T hoppers are my first experiments with Humbrol Clear and Decalfix for scratching effects over a base coat of rust. This is shown on the Humbrol Youtube channel, but I used enamel paint rather than acyrclic to start with - which didn't work. Then I used Tamiya acrylic as I live in Germany and can't find Humbrol acyrlic, which wasn't great but worked better than the enamel.